Storm Season is Coming
Brisbane Storms don’t just pose a threat to our homes; they also pose a threat to our physical safety. In Queensland, storms are just a part of life. Every year we see havoc wreaked by lightning, flooding, strong winds and hail. So how do you stay safe in the storm season?
1. Be prepared
Preparation is key to reducing danger during a storm. Your storm preparation checklist should include:
- A portable battery powered radio and torch along with spare batteries and a bulb.
- A radio station list for emergency information.
- Waterproof matches, candles or a gas lantern.
- A supply of fresh water and tinned food or other long lasting food.
- A First Aid kit , such as the Remote Max Kit Soft Pack, which includes storm ready products such as a torch and spare batteries.
- First Aid knowledge
- Reasonable supplies of essential medication
- Strong shoes and rubber gloves.
- Waterproof bags for clothing, certificates and valuables – keep the bag in a safe place and pack it in advance.
- List of emergency contact numbers – This link is for Brisbane Local Emergency Numbers only.
- Mobile phone car charger.
2. Be aware
It is important to be aware of what can cause injuries during a storm.
Beware of dangers like:
- Broken glass
- Falling objects – e.g. branches, hail, house materials.
- Dangerous snakes or spiders flushed out by flood waters.
- Fallen power lines.
3. Be Smart
One of the best things you can do in storm season is use your brain. This doesn’t mean you have to be a rocket scientist – you just need to stay calm and make safe and smart decisions.
These wonderful Interactive tools provided by Brisbane City Council can assist you to prepare your home:
Have questions or need work done? Contact us at Brisbane Electrical on 07 3378 3387 or visit our contact page here.
Finally, don’t forget to check out the Thunderstorm tracker by BOM!